With Brisbane’s burger scene becoming bigger than ever, I decided to set out (with the willing help of my teenage daughter), to bring you THE best burger joints in and around Brisbane. With so many venues opening up I’m making it my my mission to update this post to keep everything as current as possible.
There are burgers, and then there are Betty’s Burgers! With its flagship store in Hastings Street Noosa, Betty’s Burgers are now popping up everywhere. And luckily for us quite a few of those are right here in Brissie. Betty’s prides itself on serving the freshest, juiciest, mouthwatering burgers and I certainly agree with that.
We ordered the Betty’s Classic, a steal at only $10! The highlight was the medium cooked, juicy tender Angus beef patty which was nestled in the freshest bun, not soggy as a lot of the softer buns can get. The lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese and special sauce complimented the burger rather than overpowering it. Big thumbs up from both of us!
You’d be hard pressed not to find something to like, I mean love at Betty’s. Their current menu includes:
- Flathead Fish Burger • Pork Belly Burger • Crispy Chicken Burger / Supreme • Mushroom Burger • Bare Betty (bunless) • Betty’s Deluxe • Spicy Chicken • Kid’s Burger
Betty’s fries rock! Thin, but not too skinny as to lose that fluffy potato taste. Perfect shoestring packed full of flavour. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside with a light sprinkling of sea salt seasoning – very moorish. The fries are a reasonable $5 and sauces are extra. There are four to choose from: Betty’s special sauce($2), Sriracha mayo($2), garlic mayo($2)but we decided to stick with the traditional tomato sauce ($1)
Betty’s has a distinct classic 1950’s vibe. And with it instagrammable decor (think orange and turquoise presets), they’ve saved you the job of any post-editing with your photos.
Special Diets: Betty’s provides a complete allergy sheet on all of their products. Vegetarian burgers available.
Location: Betty’s have several locations throughout Queensland. We visited the Indooroopilly store @ Level 3, Indooroopilly Shopping Centre.
Desserts: Or Concrete as they are referred to. Betty serves up several delights such as Peanut Butter Brittle, Chocolate Hazelnut donut & Lemon & Raspberry Cheesecake. All desserts are $8 but totally shareable!
Betty’s Burgers score high on my list of best burgers. Great burger, crunchy fries, and welcoming staff. Probably best value burger! A bargain at $10!
Grill’d has been one of my favourites since moving up to Brissie. But it’s not just the taste of the burger that is appealing. Grill’d boasts all natural locally sourced ingredients “no cages”, “no nasties” and “no added hormones”.
As well as their delicious tasting burgers, Grill’d has a fantastic scheme which supports local charities – “Local Matters”. Every month three different local charities are chosen to and their names displayed on jars. Every burger sold comes with a token. You simply choose which charity you wish to support and pop your token into the corresponding jar. At the end of the month, Grill’d then adds up the tokens and donates $500 across the charities, the one with the greatest number receiving $300 and $100 each to the remaining charities. Now let’s get to the food!
Although Grill’d offers many options, I can never go past the Simply Grill’d. A substantial burger juicy and flavoursome, made with grass-fed lean beef, fresh salad, relish and herb mayo. There are several bun choices – panini (which is made from a light sourdough), traditional, gluten free and low carb.
Grill’d has a HUGE selection of grass fed lean beef burgers available including:
- The Mighty – grass fed lean beef plus bacon, cheese, salad
- Summer Sunset – grass fed lean beef, bacon, charred pineapple, salad and avocado (sounds divine must try next time!)
- Crispy Bacon & Cheese – grass fed lean beef plus bacon & cheese
- Chilli Addict – grass fed lean beef, jalepeños, roasted pepper, sour cream, cheese, Spanish onion chilli relish (OMG why do I stick to the classic – this sounds incredible!)
- Nourish & Flourish – grass fed lean beef, carrot, mustard, pickle, lettuce, avocado
Grill’d also boasts a huge variety of chicken, lamb, beef brisket, wagyu and veggie burgers.
Grill’d’s chips are thick cut with a sprinkling of their own signature herb mix ($5.50). While I do prefer a thinner crispier fry, these still managed to disappear from our plates. They also have zucchini chips and sweet potato chips (both @$4.90 each). For sauce accompaniments, they offer tomato relish, herbed mayo, sweet chilli mayo and a chipotle sauce (all $1).
Grill’d is ALWAYS busy – love the buzz, the atmosphere and the high turnover ensuring total fresh burgers every time.
Special Diets: Grill’d serves up a special plant-based burger – The Beyond Burger which is free from soy, gluten & GMO’s.
Location: Grill’d has locations all throughout Queensland. We visited the Southbank restaurant @ 167 Grey Street, South Brisbane
Desserts: ? check
Grill’d is a great place to eat in or take away. The staff are friendly, food is always fresh and always leave feeling satisfied.
There is a choice of Frites ($6) (V) (GF) or Loaded Frites ($10) Cheese sauce, candied bacon, green onions, Fritzensauce and Twisties salt. I really like the Frites and found them just the right size – like the skin left on.
European pub atmosphere, serving craft beers. Can get really busy – good vibe out overlooking the street.
Special Diets: Vegetarian-friendly. (GF)
Desserts – yes Sugar Fritz Cinnamon sugared churro-style frites with a choice of hot nutella, peanut butter or malted salted caramel sauce Ice Cream
3 scoops of vanilla bean, dark chocolate or cookies & cream served with a choice of hot Nutella, peanut butter or malted salted caramel sauce.
Location: We visited 52 Petrie Terrace Brisbane City 4000
Fritzenberger serves up a good burger and good serving of chips. It is more a pubbish atmosphere, somewhere you’d have a couple of bevvies there too.
Red Hook is tucked away in a little laneway in Brisbane’s CBD. Referring themselves to a NY inspired eatery & bar, I was excited to try them out.
Trying to stay consistent with my reviews, I chose the Brooklyn Cheeseburger ($13). There was a huge lunchtime line up on the day I was there, but they seem to have everything under control and I was served quickly. The cheeseburger was fresh and included all of your usual suspects, beef, cheese, special sauce, ketchup and a pickle garnish. The burgers are on the smallish side (which is perfect for me), so if you have a larger appetite you can always grab an extra patty for $5 or opt for the Resolution Breaker $18 (see below)
- Grandmaster Flash – Beef, lettuce, tomato, ketchup & smoky mayo. (Bacon +$2)
- Shaolin Soul – Crumbed chicken, miso mayo, char sui sauce & lettuce on black brioche
- Uptown Funk Burger – Beef or Chicken, cheese, gorgonzola sauce, caramelised onions, bacon, buffalo ketchup.
- Resolution Breaker – Double beef, double bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese, ketchup, special sauce & pickle garnish
- Philly Cheese Steak – Sliced Steak, capsicum, shallot, chive, cheese sauce
- RZA – Veg Burger (V)- vEEF plant patty, cucumber, tomato, lettuce, cashew ranch dressing & onion jam
I had the small fries $4.5 and they were hot and vinegary. Fortunately, I do like vinegar on my chips, but if you’re not a fan simply ask to hold the vinegar, as they come automatically. They also have 3 other types of fries:
Waffle Fries w/ smoky mayo
Bacon & Cheese Fries
Chilli Cheese & Brisket Fries
Red Hook has a bustling happy vibe and really draws in the lunchtime crowd. Also has great specials
Other Info –
Special Diets: Vegetarian-friendly.
Location: Red Hook is tucked away in Gresham Laneway Brisbane City, 4000.
The Memphis Tennis Club by Burger Urge is more of an upmarket burger joint while still dishing out its famous Burger Urge Burgers.
I couldn’t go past the Boston Cheeseburger and wasn’t disappointed- succulent beef patty, pickles, tomato, lettuce, aioli and special sauce – a steal at $10.9
- New Yorker – w/ maple bacon, cheese, pickles, tomato, lettuce, hickory BBQ sauce & aioli
- No.45 – Pulled beef, maple bacon, fries, cheese, pickles, hickory BBQ sauce, ranch & aioli
- Big Boppa – w/ cheese, free range egg, pineapple, beetroot, red onion, tomato, lettuce, hickory BBQ sauce & aioli
- El Diablo -w/ maple bacon, onion rings, cheese, jalapenos, tomato, lettuce, chilli sauce, ranch & aioli
- The Double – w/ 2 patties, 2 slices of cheese, pickles, aioli, mustard & ketchup
RSPCA Approved chicken breast.
- Southern Fried – Fried chicken, cheese sauce, pickles, lettuce, special sauce & aioli
- Waikiki Classic – Fried chicken, cheese sauce, maple bacon, pineapple, lettuce, chipotle mayo, chilli sauce & aioli
I really enjoyed our lunch at Burger Urge. The staff were friendly, the restaurant was extremely clean and the burgers were pretty damn good. I’ve heard the cocktails aren’t bad either!
We chose the beef burger and it was fantastic. Tender beef, aged cheddar, bacon, pickled red onion with good sized chips ($22) which I thought, considering the location overlooking the Brisbane river was pretty damn good value.
- Soft shell crab, mayonnaise, fennel, gherkin ($22)
- Crumbed chicken, mortadella, napolitana, mozzarella ($22)
- Steak sandwich, tomato, caramelised onion, aioli (DF) 22
Riverbar also serves a selection of pizzas, salads, pastas and steaks
Riverbar is a happening venue, lots of locals and tourists alike out enjoying the night.
Special Diets: (DF) Dairy Free | (GF) Gluten Free | (V) Vegetarian | (VG) Vegan
Location: 71 Eagle Street Brisbane
Desserts: Yes! – Chocolate brownie, honeycomb, vanilla ice cream (GF) 14 Macadamia ice cream, berries, biscotti 14
This is one of my fav places to grab a burger and chill out. Happy buzzy vibe.
- Classic – freshly ground daily grassfed beef patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, aioli & special sauce
- Cheese/Bacon – freshly ground daily grassfed beef patty, cheese & bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, aioli & special sauce
- Chicken – Original/flavoured – fried chicken, coleslaw, tomato, onion, aioli & special sauce
- Vegie – kaklage tempura, lettuce, onion, aioli & special sauce
- Korean Chicken (yum!!!) – half/whole chicken
- Korean Chicken wings
- Sauces – Spicy sweet, real spicy, soy wasabi, honey garlic
- Milkshakes – Vanilla, crushed oreo, peanut butter, hershey chocolate, hershey strawberry, hershey salted caramel.
Crispy crunchy skin on moreish fries. Serving sizes are huge!
Casual – small area.
Jee’s Burger and Chicken is great on affordability, taste and generous portions. Nothing fancy just good old fashioned burger American style.
Special Diets: (V) Vegetarian
Location: 129 Margaret Street, Brisbane, 363 Adelaide Street, Brisbane City
Desserts: No, but have tasty milkshakes!
There’s something quite satisfying watching your burger being cooked in a food truck, knowing it is being made by the freshest ingredients. Charboys located in the red truck in Edward Street is popular with the lunchtime crowd. They pride themselves on quality, flavour and fresh ingredients. – (Write blurb once they get back to me with location details)
Juicy Cheeseburger and a generous serving of fries